October 21, 2018
For all runners, the Summer time is the most challenging time of year to train. Since most people are training through the summer for a big race in the Fall season, long training runs are inevitable in the hot, Summer months. Summer training obstacles range from overcoming the heat and having the right eye - wear or hat to shade from the sun to avoiding sun burn and dehydration.
We know you have heard this a million times, but hydration is truly the key to success during Summer training. You must prepare for your run by making sure you hydrate properly before you start to run, during your run, and immediately after you run.
Hydration can help with your overall experience during Summer training.
Here are some important hydration tips for your longer training runs:
1. Hydration begins the day before you plan to run. Drink water before you go to bed the night before you are planning to run.
2. Water before coffee! Many of us want to grab that cup of coffee first thing in the morning. Instead try drinking two cups of water before moving on to that am coffee.
3. 30 Minutes prior to running drink a 50/50 water/Gatorade combination. 50% water and 50% Gatorade. The electrolytes will help you retain the water you have been hydrating with.
4. Have a plan to drink water during the run. This may include running in a park or boardwalk where there are water fountains or carrying water with you.
5. Complete your training run by drinking more water and foods that offer electrolytes.
6. Consider some recovery drinks like chocolate milk, coconut milk or a banana.
Coordinator Cross Country and Track & Field